Hudson Bay Park
Hudson Bay Park is geographically located in north west Saskatoon just south of Circle Drive along 33rd Street and Avenue P North.
It is mainly characterized by single detached homes along with apartments that are less than five stories in height. Oliver Lodge and St. Joseph’s Home are seniors residences located in this residential neighborhood.
This locale honors the pioneers of Saskatoon, as well as providing two very large park spaces which curve through the neighborhood.
The community was under construction mainly during the post war years between 1940 and 1960 when there was a housing shortage. The land for this neighborhood was annexed during the City expansion around the time of 1910 to 1915.
The Mayfair subdivision is one of the oldest in Saskatoon outside of the original three settlements of Nutana, Saskatoon and Riversdale. Part of the land originally granted to the Temperance Colonization Society in 1882, it was in private hands by the time Saskatoon was incorporated as a City in 1906 and was first identified on a map of Saskatoon in 1907, during the height of the city’s first real estate boom.
The first lots were sold that year and the first houses began to be built, primarily along 33rd Street. By 1909 there were nearly 60 houses in Mayfair – at that time still outside of city limits – with a population estimated at around 350. On April 20, 1911, the City expanded, annexing land to the north as far as 38th St. Mayfair was finally “in”.
Right now Mayfair finds itself benefiting from the economic boom Saskatoon is experiencing. It is within walking distance of downtown, the Riversdale Business Improvement District, and is surrounded by parks, amenities, and attractions. Despite being close to it all, it remains one of the city’s more affordable neighborhoods.
As you would expect with an established neighborhood, the housing stock is roughly seventy-five percent single-family detached houses. The remaining portion consists of detached duplexes, and a handful of semi-detached homes and apartments. By 1914, 843 people called Mayfair home. Development was steady after the First World War but really took off in the period 1946-1960 when more than one-third of the houses presently standing were built. House construction tapered off slightly through the 1960s (23%) and 1970s (12%). Houses built since 1980 account for less than 5% of the total housing in Mayfair. Recently that number is growing as a number of new houses have come in the neighborhood to experience it’s revitalization.
Kelsey-Woodlawn is the combination of two historic neighborhoods on the west side of Saskatoon. The western part of the neighborhood are the homes that still survive north of SIAST – Kelsey Campus on Idylwyld Drive North that were built prior to and during World War II.
That part of the neighborhood is named after Henry Kelsey who was an English fur trader, explorer, and sailor who played an important role in establishing the Hudson’s Bay Company in Canada. Kelsey was born in 1667. He is the first recorded European to have visited the present-day provinces of Saskatchewan and, possibly, Alberta, as well as the first to have explored the Great Plains from the north.
The eastern part of the neighborhood is named after its neighbor, Saskatoon’s Woodlawn Cemetery which was founded in 1905 as St. Paul’s Roman Catholic Cemetery. The city took it over in 1918 and it is home to the last remaining Next of Kin Memorial Avenue in Canada which is a national historical site.